Monday, June 8, 2009

Waiting out the Zarmageddon


What if when the Zarmageddon comes, instead of running and settiung up your own survivor's camp, being a wood's hermit or becoming a roaming nomad you just stay put and wait it out?

It sounds safer to me, you basically wont have to do more then learn basic maintenance skills for your underground shelter of your choice. Boredom will be the biggest threat but its not that dangeours if you have a plan or share the shelter with someone else. I remember this movie called "Blast from the Past" I can imagine that scenario happening, heh.

In any case. Here are the cons and pros of going underground in this way.

Pro:
* Very Safe
* No complicated skills required
* Minimal risk of contamination, raider attack, zombies.

Cons:
* Expensive
* Boring
* No chance for you to be a hero "aka, save others" (unless you want to share your carefully picked and stored rations)

As for now, the only problem for me to get this kind of shelter is the money, I dont have money to buy or even plan for one.. it would be nice to find out if there are any shelters nearby.. maybe I can get lucky and the owner will be dead or I can convince him/her that Im worth saving, hah..

Here's a link to a place that explains about UG: http://survivalcenter.com/UG.html

Feel free to post your thoughts on this, even if this is an old, old post. ;)

Cheers ye all.

9 comments:

  1. I love this. I am a real "dig in" kind of person, my only trouble has been where to do it. My yard isn't appropriate for a fallout shelter. I can't bring myself to destroy all of those lovely oak trees to clear enough space for an underground shelter. This has been my big problem with plan A. Where? Underground? On a Boat? I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like them, Sam-I-Am!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's another thing I didnt think about.. eating the same stuff over and over again for years to come will be taxing my sanity :)

    This would be a great idea if we had a vast amount of resources, alas, we might need to become roaming nomads because of our lack of dough. Or maybe commandeer someone else's bunker. Hmm.. that reminds me, I read somewhere that there were goverment-sponsored bunkers out there, I wonder where they might be.. what would be the chances of other people remembering about those in the middle of the zombie panic? A little research is in order indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going underground scares me.
    I have some old german underground bunkers literally 3 minutes walk away from my house, as well as others being dotted around the island.

    They have very small windows (only big enough to fire weapons through) and most are on the coastal areas/cliffs which are hard to get to for the average person.

    The doors are heavy metal, with multiple locks. Only problem in, there is only one door in and out. And they are locked if its not the tourist opening hours. Bad idea for a hideout. However tempting they soudnd.

    I'd much rather stay in my house than underground, personally. Even though that doesn't really help with your post.

    Also if you live in a bunker... Are you going to surface to grow crops or just stick with... canned crap?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'll stick with canned crap, its going to be safer. Being outside leaves the risk of a)being surprised by a sneaker zombie
    b)being sniped by raiders to take my food

    Looks bleak but its safer.
    *shrug*

    I blame the snipers, actually, being sniped is my biggest fear, how can you prevent that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't. The good news is, if you spend the vast majority of your time underground, they won't hang around waiting for you to come out. I think I could probably handle the Vault life. Will there be enough power to run an XBOX360???lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. It should, my handle in xbox live is hyrionte, btw ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I never do the live thing except to download new content.

    I have never been one for multi-players. It doesn't mean as much to be God when there are other Gods walking around. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am jumping in on this thread a little late, but what I see as a flaw in you design would be the waste tank. My opinion would to to create "humanure" and use it in your pretty plants, not the food ones. Although I don't believe once composted it is harmful, but why take a chance. There is also vermi-composting, what I am getting at is you don't want to waste precious water on waste. I would assume all soaps and detergents would be biodegradable and be processed by other plant either for reuse or garden use.

    ReplyDelete