Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Mindful when you eat.













Well, yesterday I started my slow approach to physical fitness.
I walked.. yes, you read correct, walked for 30 minutes, .8 miles.

That might not seem to be very much to 99.9% of you, the readers, but after 2 years of sedentiarism, it is a good start. I plan to make a goal of walking 1 mile every day for the next 2 weeks and them up the ante. As it turns out, I have high blood pressure and according to my doctor are at risk of diabetes if I dont exercise more, the ZA is a very good excuse to start being healthier and Im as well take up on the offer.

I got a very good weight-training book yesterday, I will study it and maybe start on it after I can handle 1 or 2 miles without feeling dizzy or tired afterwards.

As for the other part of the training, I read up on foods and expiration dates.
Looks like we only have less than a year to raid food from supermarkets.
Canned Foods being #1 priority and Pastas and Cereals being #2, everything else goes fairly quickly.

Here's a good link about food and expiration dates, something you might find useful even though we live in pre-ZA times.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/09/foodlabel/index_01.htm

5 comments:

  1. Yoga. I know it's a total cliche these days, but I have been doing it for almost two weeks and it really helps, especially at the beginning of learning to exercise regularly. If I can do it, anyone can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have read all of the posts before I commented! I see that you are already on-board with yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) yeah, but because I dont own a car yet its hard for me to go out to learn Yoga, but once I get the "walking" bit of my exercise plan down, I might download some videos about it.. although I would rather have an instructor, with things like this is best if you do it with someone who can bend you the right way if youre doing it wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am learning it from TV. Our cable has onDemand and their are a lot of fitness training videos. I don't go out much. If I bend the wrong way, I'll just get flexible the wrong way, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, and probably stretch a tendon or muscle the wrong way so that friction actually weakens them.

    Then again, Im just paranoid about it probably just another excuse my brain gives me to not do exercise.. and my mind is very tricky in coming up with ways to disuading me to work out. I hate my mind sometimes..

    ReplyDelete